A condenser microphone with USB connectivity allows you to plug right into your computer, making it easier to record and work within your studio software since you don’t need to record and upload your vocals elsewhere. Many of the top manufacturers of traditional stage and recording mics also produce USB mics. Hopefully this USB condenser microphone review can help you decide which mic is the best one for you.
Best USB Condenser Mic: Blue Microphones Yeti Pro
Blue makes the number one condenser microphone with USB compatibility. The Yeti Pro is a sleek looking piece of equipment that handles even the strongest vocals without feedback, static or the dread hollow sound. Features include:
• Four modes for versatile recording
• Real time recording control
• Plug and play setup
• Simple but attractive retro design and quality construction
• includes an adjustable desk stand
The only drawback to the Yeti Pro is its size. It weighs in at over 3 pounds and stands at 12 inches in the desk stand, making it larger than most USB mics. This isn’t a problem if you are used to stage microphones. The recording quality is amazing and easily places it at the lead of its competitors.
Second Place: Audio-Technica AT2020 USB
The AT2020 USB has all the features of the original AT2020, but you can plug it directly into your computer or other USB capable device. Features include:
• Both PC and Mac compatible
• Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
• Crystal-clear natural sound for home studio recording
• Low self-noise – perfectly suited for sophisticated digital recording equipment
The AT2020 is a durable mic at a price low enough to fit into most budgets. There is some lag in recording, but this is an issue with most USB microphones and not a problem with the mic. The AT2020 also doesn’t come with its own software but you can adjust mic settings in your operating system sound menu or through your recording software.
Third Place: Samson CO1U
Samson’s CO1U is made for digital recording. Features include:
• Compatible with any digital audio based workstation
• Works on both Macs and PCs
• Records vocals as well as acoustic instruments
• Good sound quality for the price
The CO1U is an excellent mic if cost is an issue or if you need a simple plug and play interface. It’s best suited to the entry level digital recorder, as it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the Samson or Audio-Technica microphones.
Fourth Place: M-Audio Producer
The M-Audio Producer provides an all-in-one system, especially useful for those new to digital recording. Features include:
• Built-in headphone jack
• Comes with the Producer Digital Studio software. Also compatible with your preferred software
• Simple to use and quality construction
The Producer doesn’t have as many features as the top USB condenser microphones, but its simplicity gives it a small learning curve. If you need a simple plug and play microphone that delivers quality sound, the Producer is a cost effective option.
Let me know if this USB condenser microphone review has helped make your decision.
Check out the best live vocal microphone here.